Painting Space Wolves Faces
By Rafael Mattick
This was first featured on Rafael’s Blog and is available in English and German.
The paints you will need:
Dwarf Flesh (Ratskin Flesh),
Skull White (White Scar),
Ogryn Flesh (Reikland Fleshshade),
Baal Red (Carroburg Crimson),
Fury Orange (Troll Slayer Orange),
Khemri Brown (Baneblade Brown),
Devlun Mud (Agrax Earthshade),
Chaos Black (Abaddon Black),
Astronomican Grey (Celestra Grey)
- Undercoat with Chaos Black Spray Paint
- Basecoat the face with a mixture of Dwarf Flesh and Skull White (1:3)
- Wash the Face with Ogryn Flesh
- Paint the top areas with the Basecoat paint (Dwarf Flesh and Skull White 1:3)
- Highlight with a mixture of Dwarf Flesh and Skull White (1:4)
- Highlight with a mixture of Dwarf Flesh and Skull White (1:5)
- Wash the eye and cheek area with Baal Red (optional)
- Fill in the entire surface of the eye with Chaos Black, paint the whites of the eyes with Skull White, Pupils were dotted with Chaos Black.
- Paint the teeth with Astronomican Grey and highlight with Skull White
- Paint the hair with a mixture of Fury Orange and Khemri Brown (2:1)
- Wash the hair with Devlan Mud
- Highlight the hair with a mixture of Fury Orange and Khemri Brown (3:1)
- Highlight the hair with a mixture of Fury Orange and Khemri Brown and Skull White (3:1:1)
Rafael’s Top Tip
Don’t paint the faces all exactly the same, from life you will see that no face is exactly the same, and if you imagine the different ages and battles fought by the warriors of the rout then they would have different scares, markings and more.
Here are a few examples of the many different faces Rafael has painted
Try these combinations to come up with some different faces
The Rune Priest: Base Colour: Dwarf Flesh + Astronomican Grey + Skull White (1:1:4) then wash with Ogryn Flesh and highlight with skull white
The Wolf Scout: Base Colour: Tallarn Flesh Washed with Devlan Mud and finally Highlighted with: Dheneb Stone
The Wolf Guard: Base Colour: Astronomican Grey + Dwarf Flesh + Skull White (3:1:2) then wash with Ogryn Flesh and highlight again with Skull White.
The Long Fang: Base Colour: Elf Flesh + Skull White (1:2) then wash with Gryphonne Sepia and highlight with skull white.
The Grey Hunter: Base Colour: Terracotta + Dwarf Flesh (1:2) then wash with Ogryn Flesh and again highlight with skull white.
If you have any questions then please comment below or view the original article at Rafael Mattick’s Blog. He also does commission painting so please feel free to drop him and email or visit his facebook page Minimanie